Thursday 7 April 2011

Music Diary Day Three and Four - Sunshine!

Day three was a bit of a non day in terms of music listening. I'm not sure why, I just wasn't in a listening mood. I opted for mindless tv instead. The small amount of music I did listen to was by Ballboy. Ballboy are a Scottish band (you might notice a bit of a theme running through my music taste at times, I get a bit homesick!), they have a great knack for story telling and have a great sense of humour in their music. They're also a treat to see live as you get the stories behind the stories.

Day four was a really enjoyable day. I woke up and walked into the living room to see sunshine streaming through the windows. I was instantly in a good mood and wanted some music that reflected that. I opened Last.FM and put on my Recommended Radio. It gave me Aidan Moffat (of Arab Strap), which normally I'd be more than happy to listen to, today though it didn't fit in with what I fancied so I turned to YouTube and listened to Delakota - The Rock and The Do - Stay (Just a Little Bit More).

I used Spotify for a little while and listened to some Jenny and Johnny. I think I'd like to be Jenny Lewis a little bit. I've been a big fan of all of her endeavours from her part in The Postal Service, to Rilo Kiley to Jenny Lewis and The Watson Twins right through to this latest incarnation. She seems to excel at any style she turns her hand to and her venture into pop is perfect summer listening for me.

After a little jaunt into town and back I turned again to Last.Fm, this time I went for my own radio station, compiled of stuff from my library. It seemed to sense that I wanted upbeat, sunny listening and opened with The Drums - I Wanna Go Surfing, followed by Girls - Lust For Life.
I spent the rest of the afternoon happily listening to a mixture of upbeat, cheerful and gorgeous songs, including Lemonheads - Become The Enemy, Beach Boys - God Only Knows (one of my all time favourites), Nina Simone - Feeling Good (another favourite) and Belle and Sebastian - The Boy With The Arab Strap. I'll never forget my dad asking me what an arab strap was (if you don't know look it up, if you're the prim and proper type, don't).

These songs pretty much sum up my day-






I think my listening has probably been skewed completely by the lovely weather and probably doesn't reflect the full spectrum of my usual listening habits. I just don't think Rob Zombie suits sitting on my balcony with the sun shining down!









No comments:

Post a Comment