Tuesday 5 April 2011

Music Diary Day Two - Hello (Pretend) Sunshine


This morning I was looking around for something to listen to, I opened Spotify and there it was, The Strokes - Angles. I like The Strokes but they are one of those bands I don't actively listen to very much. If I hear them I like them but otherwise I don't go out of my way to listen.
I'm glad I did this time. It put me in a great mood and made me feel really summery (I kept the blinds shut to block out the greyness of Yorkshire outside of my window). I really should listen to The Strokes more.



After The Strokes I was in a pretty upbeat mood so I decided to keep it up. I listened to Super Furry Animals - Songbook. I defy anyone not to enjoy listening to (Drawing) Rings Around The World.


If you've never seen Super Furry Animals live I urge you to do so! Gryff Rhys singing Slow Life through a Power Rangers helmet is reason enough in itself.

I rounded off the listening with Canned Heat - Going Up The Country, Pixies - Here Comes Your Man, The Drums - I Wanna Go Surfing and a couple of Joy Zipper songs. Joy Zipper remind me a bit of a cross between Beach Boys and Air, someone else could probably sum them up a bit better than that, but that's how I've always thought of them.

http://youtu.be/yxIyZZunTBs - Joy Zipper - Out of the Sun



I went out for a bit and had my ipod on, again on shuffle waiting for something to catch my interest. I listened pretty passively, my mind must have been elsewhere as I'm struggling to remember a few hours later what I actually listened to. The only song I can remember hearing is The Doors - Hello I Love You.
As far back as I can remember, I can remember The Doors. There's a pretty big age gap between my older brother and I but we spent a lot of time together when I was growing up. He did his very best to 'educate' me in music, he would make me mix tapes with things like The Doors, Jimi Hendrix, Aerosmith, Canned Heat, Janis Joplin, Blondie...
He was a massive influence in my life. My Dm's, black skinny jeans and velvet floppy hat may have gained me some funny looks from my tracksuited friends but I was so glad to have that influence. I digress...


The Doors aren't to everyone's taste but they've always been a big part of my life and remain one of my favourite bands even now.

No comments:

Post a Comment